| Documentary History of American Carillons | Chronological List of Carillons in the United States | History of American Bell Foundries | Import Tariffs on Bells and Carillons |
|"Gloucester blesses its Portuguese fleet : with prayer and
pageantry, venturesome deepwater fishermen"
by Luis Marden, The National Geographic Magazine 104(1):79 (July 1953)
|Our Lady of Good Voyage bells lined up at the Taylor Bell Foundry in England before being shipped to America from Our Lady of Good Voyage Parish : 100 anniversary celebration, 1889-1989 (1989)|
|Links to Carillon Inventories|
|GCNA||Tower Bells||Bok Tower Gardens|
The first modern carillon in the United States was installed in the Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage in Gloucester, Massachusetts in 1922. The church had been built in 1893 by families of Portuguese fisherman who had emigrated from the Azores. The church was rebuilt after a 1914 fire and rededicated on May 23, 1915. The parish pastor, Rev. Francisco Viera DeBem, had been born in Boston but moved to the Azores at a young age and returned after being ordained. He had two bell towers included in the rebuilt church in the hope installing a chime of 8 to 15 bells, which were popular in churches at that time. Women of the church began raising funds for the bells by fairs, lawn parties, bazaars, and similar efforts, but the outbreak of World War I postponed the installation of bells.
The local community provided strong support for rebuilding the church, aided by wealthy local resident A. Piatt Andrew and his numerous friends. Andrew had moved to Gloucester in 1902 and built an estate on Eastern Point called Red Roof. He had traveled and studied in Europe before he started teaching at Harvard in 1905 and he later served as director of the Mint and Assistant Secretary of the Treasury under President Taft. In late 1914 he went to France to serve with the new American ambulance unit along with many Harvard men. He drove an ambulance before being appointed Inspector General of the organization, which was absorbed into the American Army in 1917. Andrew was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and decorated for his service.
Returning to Gloucester in 1919, Andrew supported the fund raising efforts for the bells and suggested that a carillon of bells be installed instead of a smaller chime. He later said that this was inspired by his experience with them during his travels in Europe, but he provided no specifics about those visits. At this same time, the press was widely reporting on a a proposal to build a National Peace Carillon in Washington and this may have been a factor in the decision to recommend the larger carillon. William Gorham Rice, a prominent author of carillon books, was closely involved in the Washington project and in September 1920 he and his wife returned from a trip to Holland, Belgium and England, where he might have visited the John Taylor & Company Bell Foundry in Loughborough, England. In November 1920, at the age of sixty-four, Rice ascended by himself through manholes into the west tower of the Gloucester church to take measurements for a carillon. The initial connection between Andrew and Rice is unclear, but both men moved in wealthy social and political circles. Rice's son, William Gorham Rice, Jr., had also served in Andrew's American Ambulance Field Service during the war and the two met several times.
E. Denison Taylor, a principal of the John Taylor & Company Bell Foundry in Loughborough, England, visited the United States in March and April of 1921 to arrange for a chime to be installed at Yale University. He also met with other prospective customers and probably visited Gloucester. The church placed an order for 25 Taylor bells in 1921 for $10,000, but they were subject to a 35% import tariff on musical instruments. Representative Willfred W. Lufkin realized that remitting the duty on the bells would require an act of Congress and he worked towards making this happen. Lufkin resigned on June 30, 1921 to become Customs Collector for the Port of Boston and Andrew was elected to replace him in a September 1921 special election. Andrew swiftly rounded up support to secure a bill to exempt the bells from the tariff and convinced a friend in the Treasury Department to declare the church as a bonded warehouse to house the bells while the exemption legislation was considered.
The necessary bill was signed by President Harding on April 28, 1922 and the bells were installed prior to their blessing by Cardinal O'Connor on July 2, 1922. On July 17 Andrew hosted Rice at his estate and Rice gave a talk on carillons for the Cape Ann Literary and Scientific Society at the Gloucester City Hall before sailing to Europe to attend the First Carillon Congress in Mechelen, Belgium to celebrate the opening of the Royal Carillon School headed by Jef Denyn.
The first recital was given by July 23 by George B. Stevens and Cardinal O'Connell also played one of his own compositions. Three days later, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. took the railroad from his summer home at Seal Harbor, Maine to hear the carillon and was so impressed that he presented a check for $500 to buy additional bells on the condition that he remain anonymous. Six additional Taylor bells were ordered and were subject to a 40% tariff of $946.80, although a new clavier with pedals and other accessories were admitted duty-free. The additional bells were installed and first played on Easter Sunday, April 20, 1924 with a concert by Anton Brees of Antwerp, Belgium, who had been brought over for that purpose by E Denison Taylor. Kamiel Lefevre later played the carillon in October after dedicating a new carillon in Cohasset.
Rockefeller later built carillons to honor his mother, Laura Spelman Rockefeller, at the Park Avenue Baptist Church in New York City and the University of Chicago.
1920 "A Distinguished American Visits Belgium," Buffalo Evening News, September 16, 1920, Page 12.
The Hon. William Gorham Rice, chairman of the civil service committee of New York state, has just returned with Mrs. Rice from a short visit to Holland, Belgium and England.
Bellmaker Here to Confer on Carillon," Washington Evening Star,
March 30, 1921, Page 13.
E. Denison Taylor to Discuss Chimes in War Memorial with Arts Club.
as Memorial to U.S. Deeds in War," Trenton Evening Times,
May 10, 1921, Page 8.
While in the United States to arrange the details of the installation at Yale University of a set of bells, the largest to weight 13,000 pounds, E. Denison Taylor, one of the most noted of English bell founders, conferred in Washington with members of the Arts Club in reference to a national peace carillon to be erected in Washington as a memorial to commemorate the sacrifices of America in the World War.
Denison Taylor," The Ottawa Journal, May 12, 1921, Page 3.
E. Denison Taylor of Jno. Taylor and Co., Bell Founders, Loughboro', England, is staying at the Chauteau Laurier.
Anyone desiring to see Mr. Taylor with reference to bell will please telephone for an appointment.
Carillons of Belgium after the Great War," by William Gorham Rice, Art
and Archeology 12(2):51-73 (August 1921)
Page 60: The carillon of 25 bells such as that which it is just announced is soon to be possessed by the Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage at Gloucester, Massachusetts, will have a bass bell of about 2,240 pounds, will weigh in total 14,500 pounds and will cost in England something like $12,000 complete. The Gloucester carillon is to be made at the Taylor foundry above mentioned and it will be the first accurately tuned carillon in America.
1921 "Carillon for Gloucester," letter by William Gorham Rice, Springfield Republican, August 24, 1921, Page 6
1921 "Col. Andrew Wins by 9018 Over Pingree," The Daily Item, September 14, 1921, Page 1.
of Duty on a Carillon of Bells, February 3, 1922, Senate Report No.
481, 67th Congress, 2d Session.
The Committee on Finance, to whom was referred the bill (S. 1610) to remit the duty on a carillon of bells to be imported for the Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage, Gloucester, Mass., having considered the same, report favorably thereon with the recommendation that the bill do pass without amendment.
The question as to whether these bells were entitled to free entry was submitted to the.department for, and it, and it was decided that there was no provision of law under which they could be admitted free of duty. In a communication to the Committee on Way and Means of the House of Representatives dated December 1, 1921, after reference to this decision of 'the department, the Secretary made the following statement:
"While for the reason stated the department was unable to authorize the free entry of this carillon of bells, it knows of no valid reason why Congress should not authorize its free entry of duty if it deems such action desirable."
Admit Chimes for Gloucester Free," The Boston Herald,
February 7, 1922, Page 6.
Lodge Obtains Consent for Immediate Passage of Bill.
Senator Lodge this afternoon obtained unanimous consent for immediate passage by the Senate of his bill to admit, · .free of duty, a carillon of English chimes for the Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage, at Gloucester. The church is attended largely by Portuguese fishermen. The carillon consists of 25 bells, controlled by a keyboard. A similar bill has been Introduced in the House by Congressman Andrew of Gloucester.
1922 "Gloucester Church Bonded Warehouse," Boston Globe, April 11, 1922, Page 5.
1922 "Church Women Get Carillon of 25 Bells," Democrat and Chronicle, April 22, 1922, Page 1.
Chimes Duty Free," New York Times, April 23, 1922, Page 36.
Gloucester Folk Get Exemption for a Long-Desired Carillon
Washington, April 21.--The appeal of the women of the Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage of Gloucester, Mass., whose congregation Is made up for -the most part of humble fisher-folk of Portuguese descent, to ave their carillon was answered yesterday by the House. For years they had struggled to raise $10,000 to buy the church musical equipment of their ancestors. The carillon, a church institution in their native land, was not manufactured In America, so they sent abroad. The twenty-five bells with keyboard attachment arrived recently, but the congregation's joy was wiped out by the news that the Government demanded $4,000 duty. Somebody remembered that the famous chimes in St. Michael's Church, Charleston, S.C. and the bells of Trinity Church, Philadelphia, had come in duty free by act of Congress. Representative Lufkin, Republican, Massachusetts, now retired, proposed the carillon be admitted free, and when the bill finally came up today the House approved. Just before the bells reached this country a few weeks ago Representative Treadway, Republican, Massachusetts, tried to get the duty exemption bill already passed by the Senate through the House, but action was blocked at that time by Representative Herrick, Republican, Oklahoma. When the calendar was reached yesterday Representative Andrew, Republican, Massachusetts, who represents the Gloucester district, stood at one door with Mr. Treadway at another, waiting for the Oklahoma member and ready to get him interested in some sort of yarn so as to keep him off the floor. So Mr. Herrlck was not around today when the bill was shot along on Its way to the White House. The carillon is now in the church at Gloucester, which by a special Treasury order recently was declared a bonded warehouse to hold it until the tariff question was settled.
1922 An act to remit duty on carillon of bells to be imported for Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage, Gloucester, Mass., April 28, 1922, Private Law 61, 67th Congress.
Nation 114(2063):511 (May 3, 1922)
Every now and then we have to speak approvingly even of Congress. We do so without shame as we read that by special act it has just admitted free of duty a set of bells for the Portuguese fisher-folk of the Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage in Gloucester, Massachusetts. For years the congregation had longed for a carillon like those that hang in the open towers of their churches back home but are not made in this country. Arduously they raised $10,000 and ordered the bells from Europe. The carillon arrived—-but the American Government demanded $4,000 as duty! Tragic, but the law. Then ex-Representative Lufkin, together with Representatives Treadway and Andrew, all of Massachusetts, got into action and induced Congress to pass a bill exempting from duty the bells for Our Lady of Good Voyage. Well done! The age of the great bell-makers preceded the settlement of most of America and we have never had our share of this kind of music. To counteract the raucous automobile-horn and the grinding street car, we need more of the wild, joyous peals of southern Europe and the calm, sonorous chimes of England and Holland. So ring out, bells of Our Lady of Good Voyage! Ring back your fishermen from the fogs of Georges and the Grand Banks to a safe and sunny harbor!
1922 "Cardinal Blesses Gloucester Carillon," Boston Globe, July 3, 1922, Page 11.
Blessed by Card. O'Connell," The Gloucester Daily Times,
July 3, 1922, Page 1.
Imposing dedication of new carillon for Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage Held Yesterday Afternoon.
This work has been done under the direction of Mr. Billinghurst, representative of John Taylor of Loughborough, Leicestershire, England, in whose foundry the carillon was cast.
Play Carillon at Gloucester," Boston Globe, July 12, 1922,
This is the first and only carillon in the United States, and consists of 25 bells, including two full chromatic octaves.
has First Carillon in Country," The Boston Herald, July 13,
1922, Page 10.
Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage Will Give Recitals
Washington Evening Star, July 17, 1922, Page 8.
Representative A. Piatt Andrew has as his guest at Gloucester, Mass. Mr. William Gorham Rice of Albany, who is a member of the New York civil service commission. Mr. Rice will give a talk tomorrow evening in the Gloucester city hall on the carillons of Holland. Belgium and France. He will sail Saturday for France to attend the international conference of carilloneurs at Malines.
Lecture on Carillons," The Gloucester Daily Times, July 18,
1922, Page 8.
Noted authority on bells interestingly portrayed those in picturesque towers of Holland and Belgium.
A lecture of unusual interest and attractiveness was given at City hall last evening on "Carillons of Belgium and Holland," by Hon. William Gorham Rice, of Albany, N.Y., under the auspices of the Cape Ann Scientific and Literary Association.
Mr. Rice came from Albany especially for the lecture, being the guest of congressman A. Piatt Andrew.
Among those attending the lecture last evening was E. Denison Taylor of Loughboro, England, maker of the carillon, who is in Boston for a time, and who is looking over the carillon at the Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage today, to see that everything is in perfect order.
Play Carillon for the First Time," Boston Globe, July 21,
1922, Page 9.
Gloucester Sunday Program of George B. Stevens.
1922 "Much Interest in
Carillon Concert," The Gloucester Daily Times, July 22, 1922, Page
Many out of town visitors coming here tomorrow to hear initial playing of bells.
Carillon to Ring Today," The Boston Sunday Herald, July 23,
1923, Page 22.
First Program to Be Given on Bells of Gloucester Church.
1922 A. Piatt Andrew speech for dedication of church carillon, Gloucester, Massachusetts 1922 July,
1922 "Many Notable People
at Playing of the Carillon," The Gloucester Daily Times, July 24,
1922, Page 1.
Square in front of Church and adjacent streets jammed with appreciative listeners.
Hears Gloucester Carillon," Boston Globe, July 27, 1922,
The playing of the carillon In the Church of Our Lady of the Good Voyage continues to excite attention. A concert was given this afternoon on the bells in recognition of a visit of John D. Rockefeller Jr, who made a trip from Seal Harbor, Me, especially for that purpose. Cardinal O'Connell also motored down the North Shore and the carilloneurs, George B. Stephens and Edward Shippen Barnes, the latter of Brooklyn, played several of his favorites. Cardinal O'Connell also sat at the clavier and played several selections, including the Hymn to the Holy Name.
The visitors were greatly interested ;n the bells and expressed themselves as greatly pleased with their melodious tones. Another concert of old songs was given this evening.
1922 "John D., Jr., Heard Local Carillon," The Gloucester Daily Times, July 27, 1922, Page 1.
D., Jr., Hears Gloucester Bells," The Boston Herald, July
27, 1922, Page 1.
Accompanied by his secretary, Mr. Rockefeller came by train from his summer home at Seal Harbor, Me.
D., Jr., Listens to bells in Gloucester," The Evening Gazette
(Worcester MA), July 27, 1922, Page 4.
Mr. Rockefeller came by train from his summer home at Seal Harbor, Me.
D. Rockefeller, Jr., Contemplates Carillon for New York Church," Musical
Courier 85:9 (August 3, 1922)
John D. Rockefeller, Jr., paid a short visit to Gloucester on Wednesday, July 26, to hear the new carillon of bells installed in Our Lady of Good Voyage Church, which were played for the first time last Sunday. Accompanied by his secretary, Mr. Rockefeller came by train from his summer home at Seal Harbor, Me.
He was met at the railroad station by Capt. Manuel P. Domingoes, Alderman Antoine A. Silva and G. L. Taylor of England, manufacturer of the bells, who came here for the installation. At the church Mr. Rockefeller met the Rev. Francisco G. Martin, the pastor. After an inspection of the church property and the playing balcony, the party went to the top of Mount Vernon hill, nearby, where a half hour's concert was given for the benefit of the visitor by Carilloneur George Stevens, assisted by Edward Shipman Barnes, a New York organist.
Mr. Rockefeller was much impressed by the bells. It is understood that he is interested in the purchase of a similar set of chimes for a New York church.
Gives 42 Bells to Park Ave. Baptist Church," The New York Times,
December 6, 1922, Page 1.
The only other set of the kind in the United States will be at Grace Episcopal Church, Plainfield, N.J, to which an anonymous donor has given a carillon of twenty-three bells, also ordered from the Croyden firm.
has many Christmas observances," The Boston Globe, December
26, 1922, Page 11.
In the Portuguese Church of Our Lady of the Good Voyage there was a midnight Christmas mass, preceded by selections on the carillon by Miss Mary P. Mesquita.
for Easter Planned at Gloucester," The Boston Globe, April
18, 1924, Page 24.
A carillon recital will be held Easter Sunday evening in the church of Our Lady of Good Voyage by Anton Brees of Antwerp, Belgium. The instrument recently has been improved by the attachment of two large bells and a pedal device.
Carilloneur Honored at Gloucester," The Boston Globe, April
25, 1924, Page 11.
Anton Brees of Antwerp, Belgium, one of the most distinguished carilloneurs in Europe and E. Denlson Taylor, of a bell-founding firm of Loughboro, England, were the guests of honor at a dinner tendered by Mayor Maclnnis and the Municipal Council at the Tavern to night. Mr Taylor is in the country installing a carillon and brought with him M. Brees, who for several evenings has been entertaining large numbers with concerts on the carillons in the twin towers of Our Lady of the Good Voyage Church.
Gloucester, England, Mr Taylor said, was the center of the bell-founding business in England and Gloucester, Mass, could claim the honor of being the first city In this country to install a carillon.
Fr Perry, of the Church of Our Lady of the Good Voyage, spoke for his parish. Other speakers included Mr Mitchell, of the church. Aldermen Parsons and Brooks, and ex-Mayor Patch.
This evening M Brees gave another carillon concert at 9 o'clock, which was heard by thousands, many coming from out of town The carillon recently has been augmented by the installation of six new bells, making a total of 3i.
Play Carillon in Gloucester," The Boston Globe, October 1,
1924, Page 13.
Emiel Lefevre to give a concert tomorrow.
Mr Lefevre was brought to this county by Gen Hugh Bancroft for the recent dedication of the new carillon which he and Mrs Bancroft gave to St Stephen's Church in Cohasset, in memory of Mrs Bancroft's mother. The carilloneur. who Is considered one of the most skilful in the world, will return to Belgium soon.
The Gloucester carillon consists of 31 bells, covering two and a half octaves, played by pedals and levers. The setting of the bells is particularly picturesque, as they are in a tower high over the town and the harbor. The Gloucester carillon was dedicated two years ago and was the first in the country. Now there are five other carillons In this country.
at Gloucester Hear Mercier's Carilloneaur," The Boston Globe,
October 3, 1924, Page 5.
The carillon concert tonight on the bells of the Church of Our Lady of the Oood Voyage by Kamiel Lefevre, carilloneaur to Cardinal Mercier of Malines, Belgium, attracted a gathering estimated at 10,000. Many came in automobiles from all parts of Essex County. Mr Lefevre is the second man of note who has given selections on this carillon, M. Anton Brees of Belgium being the first.
music and singing towers of the Old world and the New, by
William Gorham Rice | Also here
Page 359: Gloucester, Massachusetts; Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage; given by various individuals and groups; 31 bells by Taylor, 1922-24; heaviest 2,826 lbs.; total weight ca. 28,000 lbs.; among the best. Inaugurated July 23, 1922. First played by George B. Stevens, carillonneur. Recitals Wednesday evening, 8:30-9:30, in 1925, by Kamile Lefévere of Malines. The carillon was admitted free of duty by special act of Congress. Cardinal O'Connell was present at the Inauguration and played one of his own compositions.
Page 389: A. Piatt Andrew was the earliest advocate of a carillon at Gloucester, Massachusetts
Readjustment - 1929, Hearings, February 19, 1929
Page 6932: In 1922 Congress passed a bill admitting free of duty bells for the Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage at Gloucester, Mass. Col. A. Piatt Andrew, who introduced that bill, tells us that he got the inspiration abroad after hearing the bells in Flanders, studying into the situation and found that it was only abroad that he could obtain these bells.
Music and Singing Towers of the Old World and the New, Revised
and Enlarged, by William Gorham Rice
Page 267a: "The author of 'Carillon Music' in November, 1920, unaccompanied, made the then somewhat difficult ascent of the tower, through its interior man-holes, and recorded the measurements and survey which showed the possibility of placing several octaves of attuned bells in this height, overlooking the Atlantic.
Piatt Andrew, American Field Service Association
Pages 22-23: Among the Gloucester fishermen are many Portuguese, who settled there from Fayal, in the Azores. With them they brought many old world customs, carried out particularly in their religious ceremonies. In this little Portuguese colony Colonel Andrew took great interest, and shortly after the war he worked indefatigably in their behalf to help raise the funds and secure from abroad the first carillon to be installed any- where in the United States, in the little church of Our Lady of Good Voyage. In the words of Captain Manuel D. Domingoes: “... His enthusiastic efforts and assistance in the acquiring and erection of the carillon bells in Our Lady of Good Voyage church have never been and never will be forgotten. No one in public office was held in higher esteem by the Portuguese people. His understanding of the problems of all of us was most remarkable. He was ever zealous of the interests of the fisheries and of all people. His death is an occasion for profound sorrow.”
Book of Bells, by Satis Narrona Coleman | also here
Page 58: Bells for Our Lady of Good Voyage lined up at the Taylor foundry before shipping to America.
1945 The Story of the Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage Founded in 1890: Erected for the Portuguese Fishermen of Gloucester, Massachusetts in 1893, by Kitty Parsonsca.
1946 Our Lady of Good Voyage, Gloucester, Massachusetts, by Archbishop Richard Cushing.
1964 Our Lady of Good Voyage: 1889-1964, by Our Lady of Good Voyage Church
1972 "Our Lady of Good Voyage Church Carillon," by Martin A. Gilman, Bulletin of the Guild of Carilloneurs of North America 23:36-43 (November 1972)
Vanishing Sound, by L. Elsinore Springer | also here
Page 181: The Carillon in America
1978 "Voices From the Carillon’s Past," by Martin A. Gilman, Bulletin of the Guild of Carillonneurs in North America 27:81-87 (April 1978)
the Ambulance Service in France: The Wartime Letters of William Gorham
Rice, Jr. (Part I)," by William Gorham Rice, Jr. edited by George C.
Brown, The Wisconsin Magazine of History 64(4):278-293 (Summer
Page 278: Harvard-affiliated men were at the very core of the AFS effort, and Rice was but one of 325 Harvard men who served in the ambulance service prior to America's entry into the war in 1917. The Inspector General and founder of the AFS, A. Piatt Andrew, had been an assistant professor of economics at Harvard (and quite possibly was one of Rice's tutors).
Page 293: Andrew and Bacon spent Sunday evening in our quarters and of course Andrew asked why I was going home. "You must be going to get married; that's the only excuse." Yet the majority of men stayed only six months.
1981 "With the Ambulance Service in France: The Wartime Letters of William Gorham Rice, Jr. (Part II)," by William Gorham Rice, Jr. edited by George C. Brown, The Wisconsin Magazine of History 65(1):11-35 (Autumn 1981)
1981 "With the Ambulance Service in France: The Wartime Letters of William Gorham Rice, Jr. (Part III)," by William Gorham Rice, Jr. edited by George C. Brown, The Wisconsin Magazine of History 65(2):103-119 (Winter 1981-1982)
1989 Our Lady of Good Voyage Parish : 100 anniversary celebration, 1889-1989, Gloucester, Mass
1991 Beauport chronicle : the intimate letters of Henry Davis Sleeper to Abram Piatt Andrew, Jr., 1906-1915, by Henry Davis Sleeper, A. Piatt Andrew, edited by E. Parker Hayden, Andrew L. Gray
Lady of Good Voyage Carillon Bells are home," by Manuel F. Simoes, Good
Morning Gloucester, June 16, 2010
Includes several good pictures of the bells.
2010 "Carillon bells repaired and returned to Our Lady of Good Voyage in Gloucester," by Britt Braudo, Cape Ann Beacon
2011 Papers of Member of Congress and American Field Service Cofounder A. Piatt Andrew are Now Open for Use, Hoover Institution
2014 A. Piatt Andrew and Red Roof, 1910, by Nicole Milano
2016 "The Carillon at Our Lady of Good Voyage Church," by Tom Halsted, The Cape Ann Museum Perspectives 8-9 (Winter 2016-2017)
2017 "Carillon to chime at Our Lady of Good Voyage," by Tom Halsted, Gloucester Daily Times (August 3, 2017)
Bronze: A History of Carillon Music, by Luc Rombouts | pdf
of book |
Page 211-215: Our Lady of Good Voyage Carillon
Our Lady of good Voyage Church, National Park Service
Red Roof, 79 Eastern Point Boulevard, Gloucester, Essex County, Massachusetts
1945 The story of the
Church of Our Lady of good voyage Founded in 1890. Erected for the
Portuguese fishermen of Gloucester, Massachusetts in 1893. by Kitty
ca. 1946 Our Lady of Good Voyage, Gloucester, Massachusetts, by Richard Cushing.
1953 Gloucester blesses its Portuguese fleet : with prayer and pageantry, venturesome deepwater fishermen by Luis Marden, The National Geographic Magazine, July 1953 75-84
1964 Our Lady of Good Voyage : 1889-1964
© 2022 Morris A. Pierce